Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Frankie the hero!

While in Waterstones at the weekend I was highly amused to come across this blast from the past
Judy Blume's Forever... and how I giggled to myself. Memories of Mrs.Galvin's (loved her!) 5th class came flooding back, no she didn't read it to us! You see every week we used to go to the library with the class to pick out our books for the week and every week we were told the same thing "No Judy Blume books"! Which was pretty stupid of them seen as Judy Blume taught us more about sex education than any classes in school. My Mam being well cool and open minded bought me my own Judy Blume books once I asked her for them, gems like "Are you there God? It's me Margaret"(a name Dr.Cox humorously called JD in an episode of Scrubs), "Blubber"(a name my brother non-humorously called me many years ago) , "Then Again Maybe I Won't", but none of them were quite as shocking for a 10 year old as "Forever". And how we all got to read "Forever" was down to one rebel- Miss Frankie Crowley. You see Frankie had older sisters so she knew everything, about life, boys, dirty books! I used to sit in the row behind Frankie and every lunch time for a week we'd all run to get our place at her desk, when we were all positioned and the initial kick-shit about who sat where had ceased, then Frankie would take the Holy Grail out of her bag, we'd all gasp and giggle and excitedly remind each other what had happened in yesterdays chapter then like mesmerised dogs waiting for their master to throw the ball, we'd all look to Frankie! Rather thoughtfully Frankie would have carefully scanned the book the night before and highlighted all the dirty bits for us, so if we were on a particularly boring part or were running out of time before the end of lunch she could easily skip ahead to the goods, well let's face it, it was the filth we were only interested in! Someone would be nominated to keep watch at the door for the teacher who was walking around checking on the classes in that corridor, we eventually had it timed that she'd swing past our class roughly every 4 minutes, at which time a text book would be thrown over "Forever" and we'd all start discussing our Barbie collections. I don't remember anyone's name in the book except for Ralph, anyone's who's read the book will know exactly who Ralph was! :D what a giggle we had at that book. When I found it in Waterstones I had a quick glance through to see if I could find any dirty bits but when someone walked up behind me I dropped it like a hot snot, forgetting I am now allowed read as many dirty books as I like! So thanks Frankie for the lesson, you were the hero of Mrs Galvin's 5th class :D

No comments: