Monday, February 11, 2008

Cate Blanchett- my new girl crush!

Went to see the new Movie "I'm Not There" this weekend. The first thing I noticed in the opening credits "Based on the music of Bob Dylan", this immediately changed my expectations. I had thought it was a movie based on the life of Bob Dylan with all these fine actors and actress playing Dylan throughout the years, what we saw was something extremely different. I'm not going to go into it too much and spoil it for others who may be going to see it (and you should go to see it) but I will say go in there with an open mind, expect the unexpected and read between the lines! I can honestly say it is now up there with my all time favourite movies. Cate Blanchett who I have always been a huge fan of just reiterated the point that she is one of the most talented actress's of our time, her ability to hold an audience amazes me and I have to say dressed as a man- she was kinda hot!! Seeing Heath Ledger on the big screen was quite poignant and again brought home the fact of how sad it is to lose such a talent at such a young age, after his death people were comparing him to the likes of Marlon Brando and I am always wary of these kind of statements because all too often they are thrown around as some kind of sympathy lines, the death of young talent is tragic but when they are considered one of the greats of our time it makes for an even more tragic story- which of course means more tabloids being sold and more dramatic E true Hollywood stories. But in this case... It was definitely not just a line and his performance in "I'm Not There" only proved the point even more! In my humble opinion this movie ain't for the non-believers of the greatness of Bob Dylan and his poetic genius, ya just won't get it! But for the believers, it's a story you'll want to watch over and over again... and probably dig out Dylan's whole back cataglogue trying to match the happening's to the songs! One of the few movies where I sat through the closing credits unable to utter any words, too blown away to talk and hoping it would just go right back to the start and play again. When i did eventually snap out of it there was only one word that could be uttered..."Unreal".

No comments: